Sunday, September 2, 2012

DITTY DROPS by Meredith Schwab



DITTY DROPS is a trendy and playful collection forged out of the self expression of Meredith Schwab. I asked Meredith some questions about her collection, available at Anchor No.5 Boutique:


How long have you been creating prints?  What other type of artwork have you created in the past?

Geometric shapes and patterns have always been an undercurrent in my work, within the past few years it has become my focus.  My background is in painting, I received my Bachelors of Fine Arts in 2006 and recently received my Masters of Fine Arts from SUNY Albany.  I've always been interested in pattern play and motifs in high fashion.  I enjoy taking those elite and recognizable fashion trends and manipulating them into something more handcrafted and sometimes tongue and cheek, my Faux Gemstone Collection is a prime example of this playfulness.



What led to the creation of the brand DITTY DROPS?

DITTY DROPS was born from an impulsive move to Berlin, Germany in 2012 where I was smack dab in the middle of tons of art and culture, geometric trends in jewelry and graffiti were ever present...I was in heaven.  I made a lot of new artwork while I was living in Berlin, but couldn't sell anything, once back in the states I had a eureka moment...this stuff should be on jewelry.  I've since expanded the collections to include fine art prints, greeting cards, and canvas tote bags, I want my designs to be on everything!


Can we expect anything new from you at Anchor No.5 for your month as the featured artist?


I made some rockin' original illustrations for the shop.  They are inspired by my sketchbook doodles of designs in the beginning stages.  Their aesthetic is inspired by vintage lithography and screen printing.




How would you describe this collection as a whole?

DITTY DROPS is unabashedly bright and bold geometric jewelry, prints and accessories that  feature original interpretations of on trend patterns and motifs, such as tribal and southwestern, ombre, and classics like polka dots and stripes.


Can you tell me more about your creative and production processes?

All of my jewelry is made by hand in my home in Saratoga or England.  My self-invented process took me quite a while to perfect, and even now is tedious.  A question I often get is 'what are these things made of?'  I use high grade plastic by a company called Grafix, along with jeweler's resin, and stainless steel or sterling silver components.  I make all the prints and cards myself as well, and the kind folks over at Design It Together on River Street in Troy make my killer tote bags.







Visit Anchor No.5 Boutique to experience the collection first hand and visit DITTY DROPS sites for more info.

Etsy:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/dittydrops
Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/MeredithKSchwab
Blog:  http://www.dittydropsblog.blogspot.com/
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/DITTYDROPS
Pinterest:  http://pinterest.com/DITTYDROPS/

No comments:

Post a Comment